Site run by the parish council

mobile menu button
Home > News


Parish Meeting tributes to Tony

There was a turnout of just 20 - including parish councillors - for Laxfield's annual parish meeting when the parish, district and county councils gave reports and there was information on the activities of the village clubs and societies.

Highlights were the tributes to the parish council's outgoing chairman Tony Oakes

To see the full minutes CLICK HERE

Get a free NHS healthcheck

Aged between 40 and 74? You can get a  free NHS healthcheck right on your doorstep in Laxfield Village Hall.

Every year, NHS Health Checks can prevent 1600 heart attacks, prevent 4000 people from developing diabetes and saves 650 lives

The NHS Health Check is a national screening programme supported locally by the OneLife Suffolk team. The check calculates your risk of developing cardiovascular disease such as heart disease, stroke and diabetes. A range of tests, including a blood pressure and cholesterol check (Don’t panic, it’s just a prick blood test) form part of the check and the results provide a clearer picture of your health.

To be eligible for an NHS health check you need to be aged between 40 - 74 years old, living in Suffolk or Essex and must not have had an NHS Health Check in the last five years.

You must also have no current diagnosis of or be taking medication for heart disease, high blood pressure, atrial fibrillation, high cholesterol, diabetes, stroke or mini stroke, kidney disease or dementia

The OneLife Suffolk team will be delivering the NHS Health Checks from 10.30 – 4pm at Laxfield Village Hall, The Link, Laxfield, IP13 8DY on Tuesday 7th May.

To book your appointment simply call OneLife Suffolk’s Client Services Team on 01473 718193 or email

Mental health support for young

Thomas Mills High School’s children will potentially benefit from changes in how their mental health and emotional wellbeing is supported, after taking part in a county-wide report focusing on the challenges young people face in and out of school.  

Healthwatch Suffolk’s “My Health, Our Future” project highlights troubling statistics surrounding body image, self-harm, exam stress, cyberbullying, and social media use, including the shocking revelation that a quarter of female students aged 16 say they have self-harmed.

Released this month, the full report – which over two years has gathered almost 14,000 responses from people aged 11 to 19 – can be downloaded directly from the Healthwatch Suffolk website at

With every participating school having received a tailored report detailing their student’s responses, it is hoped that the findings will continue to drive vital changes in curriculum and policy.

If your child or family feel that they need support, you can get in touch with the Children and Young People’s Emotional Wellbeing Hub on 0345 600 2090, or find further contact details for information and advice for young people in Suffolk by visiting The Source at

Build it right with Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils

Thinking about…

  • Building an extension
  • Internal alterations i.e. removal of walls
  • Converting your garage
  • Creating an annexe

Your council can help.

Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils, have a dedicated, independent and impartial team with over 100 years combined specialist knowledge in the construction industry. They can help guide you through the processes to make that all-important alteration to your home, whilst ensuring you meet mandatory Building Regulations.

We understand fitting home improvements around your job can be a challenge. Our team will find a way to support you that fits in with your diary. Inspections can also be booked by 10am on the day too, so no need to forward plan if that’s not your style.

If you want to find out more about the services your local council offers, just speak to one of the team by heading to the Councils’ website at:  - we’ll be happy to help or provide you with a quote.

Did you know the council also deals with demolitions and dangerous structures? You can always contact us to report a dangerous structure online here: 

Paperless billing with the council

Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils understand that fitting life in around work can be a challenge, especially when it comes to things like your council tax.

Well, no more! Why not make your life easier with our online portal MyAccount.

It’s free to sign up to, easy to use and you can have instant access to your account at a time to suit you.

There’s no need to make any phone calls – you can view your bills and update information all online!

MyAccount features include:

  • Paperless billing (eBilling)
  • View bills, reminders & notices
  • Apply for discounts & exemptions
  • Notify us of a change in circumstances
  • Update your personal details
  • 24/7 access to your account
  • Print bills if you need them for proof/evidence
  • And more…

Please note that all named people on the bill must separately register for paperless billing to prevent further paper bills being issued. Any users wishing to receive an online bill for March 2019, should sign up before 15 February 2019. 

Sign up only takes a few minutes:


Reporting Non-emergency Crimes using 101

1 June 2012

Call 101 to contact the police to report less urgent crime and disorder or to speak to your local officers.

Read the full post